Followers

Thursday 20 July 2017

NOSTALGIA - Stonehenge in the early 70's


As I recall in the early 70's we were able to simply walk onto the Stonehenge site - I know that we used to visit there each time we passed it when we were heading west out of London for a Bank Holiday break. At the time - as it is now - there was no definition of how or why Stonehenge came about or was positioned where it is. I do recall that I viewed it as a place of wonder ................. someone, sometime must have had very good reason to create this quite remarkable stone monument. When I took these pictures all those years ago it was quite deserted - certainly not subject to the hordes of tourists which I believe descend upon it these days. The quiet allowed us to contemplate its origin - its reason - and the source of the rocks and their means of reaching the site. We were certainly fortunate to have experienced it then rather than now and to have experienced just a little of the Spirit of Place that I believe its founders intended.












No comments:

Post a Comment