Followers

Friday 27 July 2018

Accidents happen!

This week’s York Road bird is the Fork Tailed Drongo. We have a number of them on the property, but there are a couple that have ingratiated themselves with us despite their questionable reputation. They are always there - just beyond physical reach, watching everything we do, from cutting fibre-cement boards with an angle grinder, to watering or raking the ground. On the farm I watch how four or five of them will apparently spend a few minutes attacking a cow ……………. but on closer inspection they are literally diving for  ticks or other parasites on the cow with such deftness one would believe that each and every trajectory is pre-planned and not simply the shortest distance between the bird and the insect. Goodonya Drongo!

Accidents happen!!!!!! …… They certainly do - and I was the victim of something very unexpected on Monday, which could, but for the space of literally two inches, have been fatal. I was handed an angle grinder which had been switched on but not been active because of a faulty plug. The person who handed me the grinder did not switch it off, and I, in a fairly dicey position on a ladder simply took the grinder from him, expecting to switch it on to do the cut I intended when I was ready. He then adjusted the plug and the grinder bucked into action throwing itself out of my hand and down towards my torso where the blade first grabbed my shirt and ripped into it before continuing on its downward trajectory  from my breastbone down to my waist. The sensation I felt was is if it was cutting right into my body as I struggled to get it under control ………….. fortunately the shirt worked to slow down the revolutions and protect my body from deep penetration by the blade, even though it exacerbated the width of the cut by allowing the material to rip the skin well wide of the blade width.  When it was switched off it was totally entangled in the ripped shirt and I had no sense of how deep the cut might be - all I could see was blood, and could only surmise as to the extent of the injury as we worked to cut the shirt away from the blade. 
My relief was huge as it became obvious that the cut was only skin deep, even though the width of the wound did worry me. I called Pat and she arrived within 15 minutes with the first-aid box and began by washing the wound with dettol before helping me change clothes and driving through to the Port Alfred hospital with me where I requested a Tetanus shot, feeling pretty sure that stitches weren’t necessary.

It was only after waking in the early hours of Tuesday morning and giving some detailed thought to what had happened that I really came to terms with how lucky I had been, and how close I had come to that age old comment, “Goodnight Nurse”. My very good friend and erstwhile educator, Brother Donald Kennedy, felt sure after viewing the picture of the cut I sent him that it was a case of Divine intervention and Whatsapped me his thoughts. The following morning however he Whatsapped again to say that he had done a reassessment of his considerations and decided that it was rather a question of “The Devil taking care of his own”. I’m not sure where this leaves me, or what the ‘designation’ of my guardian angel might be, but there definitely seems to be one of sorts hanging about as I tackle these things I do each day, quietly saying to myself as I tackle each new one, “I really am getting too old for all this shit”.

This little village continues to intrigue us - each day there are new people to meet - people doing uncalled for things within the community in consideration of their neighbours and fellow villagers ………… not in search of thanks or recognition, but simply because it is the right thing to do. I like that! Hopefully, sooner rather than later, we will find somewhere to slot in and also make our mark. I don’t believe that it is something one premeditates ………….. but rather something that one is invited into purely by accident if the mind is open and receptive to the suggestion.

Jesse continues to live the life of a spoiled child, literally going everywhere with us - which she loves. The cows and the donkeys are becoming more and more acceptable to her, and she has even begun striking up a relationship of sorts with ‘Bunny Ears’ the friendly donkey, and now allows ‘Bunny Ears’ to join us on our walks. Her attacks on the cattle too have dwindled to an unenthusiastic charge, quickly abandoned as she realises that they have little or no interest in her whatsoever. She has even stopped chasing the Roosters across the road at the Bistro, happier it seems to be accepted by the proprietors Liz and Anne and their occasional helper Maritza for what she is ……….. a really cute, sneaky, little Jack Russell cross that very quickly creeps into your heart (and your premises in search of titbits), however badly she might behave upon occasion.


Liz yesterday gave me the lowdown on the upcoming Bathurst Country Affair ………… its history, and what can be expected now that the various proprietors have been given the responsibilty of making their side of the event work rather than having an event manager. We are looking forward with interest and anticipation to this, our first experience of the event, and will post the programme here as soon as it becomes available.

Tonight a bunch of us are meeting for Tjop 'n Dop at Sally's to check out the Lunar Eclipse .......... let's hope the clouds dissipate.


The Fork-Tailed Drongo

No comments:

Post a Comment